Saturday, April 05, 2008

SHINGLES....and not on the house ;(


I am SICK.....I have Shingles...one of the most painful things I've ever had!...and it goes on for at least 5 weeks.
I'm almost up to the beginning of week 3....
I was talking with a friend this last Monday. She made the mistake of asking how I was...so I told her the symptoms of what I had. She asked if I had had chicken pox when I was a child....well, Yes...didn't everyone in my generation?
She said, "OH MY GOD Sheila...you have Shingles...Google it"....and sure enough she was right.
It feels like a combination of a really bad sun burn...poison oak
with the nerve endings jumping around, zapping me. It's VERY painful and makes it almost impossible to get a nights sleep.

It is a band around my right side from my spine to my breast bone and covers about 6".
It only happens in people who have had chicken pox. It waits in the nerve endings and when someone get to be....well.....my age. Is stressed and then happens around a child with chicken pox it remembers and gets those puppies into full gear!

I went to the Dr (an incredible woman in Drain).....she asked me why I was there and I hiked up my sweater and she said, "Oh, I see". I have a pretty bad case of it....Yeah!
She gave me meds....ahhhh.....3 kinds...one is a nerve calming med (which for 5 days makes you act like you are drunk....after 20+ years of being sober that ought to be interesting)
one is an antiviral.....and then Vicodin for the pain.
I go to see her again in a week.
The meds are working already....the pain has lessened but I am a Zombie! DAMN!
I had to look up words like poison...and combination so I could write the blog. My brain is definitely on drugs!
I have been spinning...trying to learn how to do it right....getting help from my friend LisaSouza ! Thanks!
Today, not so much.............mostly I have been sleeping..........but I did do the dishes and threw in a load of wash....Hey that's progress for me!

10 Comments:

At Saturday, April 05, 2008 7:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! Crum! I'm so sorry--get better soon, Sheila!

 
At Saturday, April 05, 2008 11:11:00 PM, Blogger Romi said...

Oh nooooooooo! Urg. I hope you feel better soon! I am sending white light your way.

 
At Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Sheila! Shingles just suck. Dave had 'em and said the pain was like nothing he'd ever experienced. Just relax and go with the drugs. Time flies when you're incoherent.
Hugs!

 
At Monday, April 07, 2008 8:11:00 AM, Blogger Kim in Oregon said...

Oh Sheila! That sounds awful. Look at it as a well deserved break from all your winter travels and just take it easy and enjoy the early spring at home.

Good thoughts coming your way.

 
At Monday, April 07, 2008 2:31:00 PM, Blogger annmarie said...

oh, ouch. what a bummer. :/

 
At Monday, April 07, 2008 3:04:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Oh, my dear - sorry you are having to deal with this. Sometimes we need a real Break and our bodies insist. But this is rather dramatic!
Feel better soon.

 
At Tuesday, April 08, 2008 5:56:00 AM, Blogger Lacefreak said...

How horrid for you! Drugs. Lots and longs of drugs! Do not stint on the pain medications. I am thinking healing thoughts your way. Get better soon!

 
At Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:08:00 AM, Blogger weebug said...

ouch. i hope you heal quickly! my best friend in grade school ended up with shingles in third grade, so it can hit all ages! baby steps my friend, think baby steps.

 
At Tuesday, April 08, 2008 10:32:00 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

Oh, shingles are painful! I hope you are feeling better. From one Sheila to another!

 
At Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:10:00 PM, Blogger vanessa said...

shingles seriously suck.

spinning, yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home